|Beans-Tuvar Dal Sabzi|
While French Beans are very healthy and packed with nutrients, they can taste quite boring. In Tamil Nadu, we make it along with grated coconut and it goes well with sambar rice or rasam rice. But to have it with rotis, it usually needs to be used along with other vegetables to be tasty. A few days back, I just wondered how to make beans interesting when Bhagavan gave me this idea. Believe me, it worked very well, it was easy to cook and very delicious.
French Beans – 250 gm (stringed and chopped fine)
Onion – 1 large (chopped fine)
Tomato – 1 medium (chopped fine)
Tuvar Dal – a handful (soaked for ten minutes)
Rai – 1 tsp
Jeera – 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1 pinch
Mirchi Powder – ¼ tsp
Dhaniya Powder – ¼ tsp
Jeera Powder – ¼ tsp
Garam Masala Powder – ¼ tsp
Kotmir – 1 tbsp (chopped)
Oil – 2 tsp
Salt to taste
1. Boil water in a vessel and add the beans, soaked tuvar dal, salt and turmeric powder and allow it to cook for about five minutes.
2. Switch the gas off and drain the water completely.
3. Heat the oil in a saucepan and allow the rai to crackle in it. Then add the jeera before adding the chopped onions.
4. Keep the flame on medium and stir the onions till they are golden brown. Now add the tomatoes and stir for a couple of minutes.
5. Add all the masala powders and salt. Mix well.
6. Finally, add the beans and tuvar dal and continue to cook on medium flame with a lid over the saucepan.
7. Stir from time to time and cook this mix for about 7-8 minutes or till the water completely evaporates.
Garnish with kotmir and serve hot with rotis or puris. It tastes simply yummy!