|Yummy golden brown appams|
Wheat Flour – 1 cup
Jaggery – ½ cup
Banana – 1
Cardamom – 6 (powdered)
A mix of oil and ghee in the proportion you choose. I use half of each.
|Appams cooking in the appa kaarai|
1. Add all the four ingredients to a mixer along with some water and mix thoroughly into a dough the same consistency as that for dosas.
2. Take an appa kaarai (a special kadai for cooking appams) and heat it on the gas.
3. Add some oil and ghee and keep the flame on medium.
4. Take a small serving spoon and add the dough to about three-fourths of the appa kuzhi (the small round cups in the kadai).
5. Allow the appams to cook for a couple of minutes before turning them around. Use a long handled spoon and turn them gently, or they may break and create a mess. I use a wooden chopstick and a spoon. By now, your kitchen must be smelling divine.
6. Cook for 3-4 minutes on the other side and remove the golden brown appams, before making the next batch.
Serve hot or cooled with a spoon of white butter. I promise you that your family will love you for the tasty appams. I hear they are also one of Lord Ganpati’s favourites.
NOTE: There is also a non-stick version of Appa Kaarai available in the market.