|Garam Masala Powder|
Only I find that the ready made garam masala does not have a strong flavour. It’s also red in colour as it probably contains more chilli than anything else. That’s why I make my own recipe at home.
If you love to cook from fresh ingredients and don’t mind the little bit of extra effort, then you have come to the right place.
Fennel Seeds – 50 gm
Poppy Seeds – 10 gm
Cloves – 10 gm
Cinnamon – 5 gm
Cardamom – 10 gm
Black cardamom – 2
Star Anise – 4
Black Pepper – 1 tbsp
Mace – 5 gm
Stone flower – 5 gm
|1. Cloves; 2. Star Anise; 3. Fennel Seeds; 4. Black Pepper; 5. Mace; 6. Cardamom; 7. Black Cardamom;|
8. Poppy Seeds; 9. Stone Flower; 10. Cinnamon
1. Take a dry saucepan and roast the fennel seeds till they slightly change colour.
2. Add the rest of the masala ingredients and roast for a short while so that they have no dampness in them. This ensures that the masala powder does not get spoilt over a long period.
3. Cool the ingredients and then grind them in a mixer to a fine powder.
4. Store in a glass jar and use when required.
If the garam masala will last you more than three months, it’s best to store it in an airtight container in your freezer.